18/05/2016

OUIL 603 Summative Statement

Through past and present modules, I have taken on projects from different areas of the design field – from book illustration to branding and advertising – I have given all a try. Though interested in all aspects of design work and grateful whenever new opportunities arise, character and narrative are no doubt at the heart of my practice.

A lot of the work I enjoy doing also have children as the target audience, so it only seemed right that I focus my final project on the creation of children’s publications and related products. For my Final Major Project I decided to create a children’s pop-up book based around the African Savanna and the Maasai people because it is something that I've not done before and would therefore challenge my image making/production skills and allow me to venture outside of my knowledge.

From the very beginning, I have always had a fascination with seeing the world and learning new things from different places and people. The idea of taking myself and young readers to faraway places and learning about different cultures really appeals to me because this is one way that children can see the many ways people around the world - though different in appearance - are alike. From a character designer standpoint I feel it is also important that I am able to portray a wide array of characters.

Through my future work in the publishing industry, and other related work (animation, hopefully), I wish to promote kindness, acceptance, and tolerance, among many other values.

No comments:

Post a Comment